Donors and volunteers invest their time and money with Happy Trails, and we are committed to using those resources wisely. Our annual budget is carefully reviewed and approved by our Board of Directors. We work hard to limit fundraising and administrative expenses so that we can maximize spending directly on Happy Trails’ programs. Our policy is to spend at least 65% of our total expenses directly on our program activities, with a target of 75%.
We also focus on financial transparency and accountability through preparation and posting of complete annual financial statements. We have implemented accounting procedures sufficient to protect our resources and to accurately report our financial results. Our most recent financial information (IRS Form 990) is available for download HERE.
P: (310) 207-1544
F: (310) 207-4019
Corporate Governance Policies
- Our Board of Directors engages in active and informed oversight of all Happy Trails operations and personnel. Our Board is responsible for compliance with ethical charitable standards and our mission statement. Our Board meets in person at least quarterly.
- Our Board members receive no compensation for their services as directors. Not more than one member of the Board of Directors will receive compensation from Happy Trails for services as an officer.
- Happy Trails prohibits any loans to its officers or directors.
- Self-dealing is prohibited, and no director may vote on a matter in which the director has a material conflict of interest or will receive a significant personal benefit.
- Neither our Chairman nor our Treasurer will receive any compensation for their services.
- Happy Trails approves in advance each year an annual budget outlining projected expenses for program activities, fundraising and administration.
Your privacy is of utmost importance to Happy Trails for Kids. This privacy statement describes Happy Trails’ policy concerning the gathering and sharing of visitors’ information through this website.
- You can browse the Happy Trails website without telling us who you are or revealing any personal information about yourself. Providing personal information is optional.
- On some portions of the Happy Trails website, you may be asked to provide personal information, such as your name, postal address and email address. This information is collected only if you provide it.
- f you have previously provided us with personal information and would like it to be deleted from our records, you can do so at any time by contacting Happy Trails.
- We never sell, rent or exchange or otherwise share your personal information to any third party without your express prior consent.
As an organization dedicated to providing meaningful outdoor experiences, being and teaching “green” is a core Happy Trails goal. Among our focuses are the following:
- Promoting energy and resource efficient practices in all areas of our organization.
- Educating Happy Trails kids as to practical and cost-sensitive environmentally-friendly practices (accounting for the fact that most of our campers and ranchers come from urban, low-income settings).
- Emphasizing fundamental respect for nature.
- Making the direct connection between our outdoor activities and preserving those natural settings for future Happy Trails kids.
Happy Trails for Kids is committed to providing an environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and professionalism. Happy Trails’ policy is to provide equal opportunities to all employees, consultants, volunteers and applicants on the basis of merit and to prevent discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
Consistent with this commitment, Happy Trails complies with all state and federal laws regarding discrimination, and forbids discrimination based on factors such as race, color, religious creed, national origin, age, sex (including sexual harassment), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical and mental disability, religion, ancestry, political affiliation, marital status, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity and Vietnam era veteran status.
Furthermore, Happy Trails forbids harassment against any individual based upon his or her membership in a protected class, and further forbids retaliation against anyone who opposes or reports discrimination or harassment or who participates in any such investigation or proceeding. Happy Trails endorses a zero tolerance policy toward discrimination, harassment and retaliation, which means that Happy Trails may take corrective actions up to and including formal discipline when policy violations occur, even if they are not so serious as to be unlawful.
Happy Trails is dedicated to ensuring the fulfillment of this policy. Every employee, consultant and volunteer is responsible for ensuring that Happy Trails is free of discrimination, harassment and retaliation, and is expected to avoid any behavior or conduct that could reasonably be interpreted as such. Because all forms of discrimination are unprofessional and disrespectful, and may damage an individual’s career and wellbeing, Happy Trails will strictly enforce this policy.